History and Background
Harold D. Rogers Sr. (b. 1911 Llangollen Wales), founder of H.D. Rogers & Sons Import Car Specialists, was interested in motorsports from the very beginning. As a young man, he was involved in various motorsports cinder track , road racing, rallying, hill climbing, and virtually anything he could get involved with. However, since he was a professional soldier by trade, he was destined to serve much time with the Royal Horse Artillery & Royal Artillery including service during World War II in Europe and Africa.
Late in World War II, he was injured in Madagascar and spent time recovering in South Africa. Afterwards, he returned back to his home in Widnes, Lancashire, England. Around 1945-1947, he co-owned and operated an auto repair garage called R&R Motors in Widnes, Lancashire, England. However, because of the damp English climate, he decided to move the family to Africa where the climate and adventure were more to his liking. He became a charter member of the Uganda Motor Club along with his sons Harold Jr., and Charles. He participated and helped organize local auto racing and motorcycle events. During these years, he saw many political and social changes especially in Uganda and Tanganyika where they lived. During the early to mid 1950s, he was fortunate enough to have been able to participate in many motorsports events and activities. A few photos are below. When the social and economic climate of Uganda changed, the family moved back to England for a brief period of time.
Harold Rogers Sr. (left/ Driver) during the 1956 East African Coronation Safari Rally with passenger journalist Mr. Fox. They were driving entry U43 Simca Aronde. Anybody know what happened to Mr. Fox?
Frank Brown, friend of the family getting ready to race his XK120 in Uganda.
Motorcycle racing at the Kijansi Hillclimb in Uganda around 1955. On left is Vic Preston. On right is Jamil Din. Who is in the middle?
Kijansi Hillclimb, Uganda about 1955. Rider on JAP motorcycle.
Kijansi Hillclimb, Uganda about 1955. Jaguar MKVII UFA383, Driver Unknown.
After a brief stay back in England, the family moved to Bossier City, Louisiana USA. In 1959/60 H.D. Rogers & Sons Import Car Specialists was founded. Harold Sr. and his sons also became charter members of the Dixie Sports Car Club. The family was very active in the local club, participating in autocross, hillclimbs, and rallies as well as organizing/planning events. After the passing of Mr. Rogers Sr., Harold Rogers Jr became the owner and operator of the business. In 2004, Mr. Harold Rogers Jr. closed H.D. Rogers & Sons with the goal of spending more time enjoying his hobby of classic cars. His son Hal Rogers has since opened up under a new name Classic Auto Spares to continue on the tradition of supplying parts and accessories to Classic Car enthusiasts.